Whilst this type of object is not uncommon, the fact that it was made in Namur explains its rarity. The bell was made by silversmith Nicolas-Joseph Wodon (1710-1785), who became the doyen of his profession and then a moneychanger for the Namur magistrature. Later he became Lord of Sorinne-la-Longue. The bell dates from around 1770. The Pierre François Tilmon Fund made the acquisition at Christie's in Paris for the Groesbeeck de Croix Museum in Namur.