The Fill-Trevisol Collection at the Musée L

18th of February 2020

Until 17 May 2020, the exhibition Parcours d’archéologues : Entre archives et objets (Archaeological odissey: Among archives and artefacts) takes us into the history of archaeology through the notebooks of two leading archaeologists. 

In this exhibition, the Musée L presents archaeology and its history, referring to the excavations of sites by also what went on afterwards in laboratories and universities during the analyses of the objects found. Tracing the development of archaeology from the end of the 19th century to the middle of the 20th century, the exhibition presents artefacts from excavations and archives to illustrate the place they have in this multi-faceted discipline.

We are invited to enter the universe of two leading archaeologists. The archives, notebooks and artefacts of Professor Jan Doresse (1917-2007) take us back to the ancient Coptic monasteries. Several Coptic textiles from the Fill-Trevisol Collection illustrate the artistic production of the period, together with other objects from this civilization, including estampages and oil lamps. Canon René Maere (1867-1950), on the other hand, explored Roman catacombs at the start of the 20th century and made around a hundred estampages of early Christian inscriptions.

The Fill-Trevisiol Collection was donated to the King Baudouin Foundation by Maria Luise Fill and Robert Trevisiol in 2015, with the aim of conserving and promoting this extraordinary ensemble. It comprises over 200 fragments of Egyptian textiles, dating from the 2nd to the 10th centuries. They include fragments of clothing, mainly from tunics as well as furnishing fabrics such as cushion covers, wall hangings and tablecloths

Practical details
« Parcours d’archéologues : Entre archives et objets »
Musée L
Place des Sciences 3 - Bte L6.07.01
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
From 19 February to 17 May 2020