These two silver candlesticks, which are extremely well executed regarding their proportions and rhythm, are particularly representative of silverwork from the Namur region at the start of the 18th century. They are attributed to Jean-François Bodson, one of the most productive and famous silversmiths of the 18th century.
It is thanks to the Pierre François Tilmon Fund, managed by the King Baudouin Foundation, that these magnificent pieces of silverwork have been able to be acquired. The Fund supports conservation and restoration projects for the museums of Namur and facilitates the acquisition of works that can enrich their collections.
The various parts of the candlesticks (foot, stem and socket) are separated by mouldings and measure 17 centimetres in total. There is little decoration. However, the overall severity is counterbalanced by the relative fantasy of the candlestick foot, which has alternating straight and quarter circle segments.
Jean-François Bodson (baptised in 1684 and died in 1730) began his apprenticeship in 1693 and became master in 1703. He was dean of the trade between 1712 and 1714. Numerous liturgical objects are attributed to him, including precious monstrances and several chalices.
The pair of candlesticks has been entrusted to the Musée des Arts Décoratifs de Namur, where it will join a saltcellar, also by Jean-François Bodson, and complete the section devoted to the stylistic development of Namur silverwork.