This set of three solid silver dishes was given to the King Baudouin Foundation by Mr Ivan Struye de Swielande. Made between 1730 and 1734 by the Brussels silversmith Carolus Jr Timmermans II, they bear the Brussels hallmark and bear very refined decoration.
This type of dish was fashionable in the 18th century and was generally used as a vegetable dish. At this time, the increasingly refined culture and eating habits meant that a greater selection of recipients and cutlery were becoming necessary and this eventually led to the creation of the dinner service – including vegetable dishes. The largest of these three dishes could also have been used to serve a dish of meat or pâté.
We know that Carolus Jr Timmermans II was appointed Master Silversmith in 1704-1705, at which time he joined the Corporation of Silversmiths in Brussels. Other objects bearing his signature include the oldest sauce boat in Brussels, which bears a similar motif to those on these three dishes.
Around each of these dishes is a wide horizontal rim decorated with finely engraved foliage and interlacing on a matt base. This decorative motif was characteristic of the period, as was the rim with its double accolades.
The dishes bear several legible hallmarks:
the Brussels hallmark (a leaping lion in a crowned escutcheon and the head of Saint Michael);
the letter indicating the year of manufacture (the letter O covered the years 1730-1734);
the master’s hallmark (a stylized tree between the initials CT attributed to Carolus Jr Timmermans II).
In the centre of the largest dish is the coat of arms of the de Wargny d’Audenhove et le Merchier family.
These three silver dishes are currently exhibited at the Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles, better known as the Maison du Roi (the King’s House).